Just in from the office/kitchen of food blogger and nutritionist, Lisa, of Smart Food and Fit. Lisa’s picky five year old son took the advice from Sam-I-Am of Green Eggs and Ham and decided to try her cornbread chili casserole in that cute bowl.
This was his reaction before the taste test.Say! I like mommy’s cornbread chili casserole ! I do! I like them, in that cute bowl! I do so like Mommy’s cornbread chili casserole! Thank you! Thank You, For making them in that cute bowl!
Before I share the recipe, yesterday my son’s cub scouts got a tour of our local news station. The Weeblos 1 scouts had an awesome opportunity to meet the morning crew at WZYZ channel 7 news. Gabrielle the intern was nice enough to give us a tour on her day off. We were all up and ready for the tour at 8:15 a.m. to watch segments of the morning show. Thanks Gabrielle and hope you enjoyed the no bake peanut butter protein balls we made for you!
I even had a chance to meet Malcom Maddox. He was nice enough to take a minute to strike a pose with me. One of the crew took a picture of me behind the news desk. He was coaching me to look like I was reporting something important. I fooled quite a few of my friends and family on facebook, they actually thought I did a nutrition segment on t.v.! Ha, ha!Individual Cornbread Chili Casserole Servings varies on ramekin size, for 7 oz. ramekin – 10 servings/ serving size: 1 ramekin (perfect for kids or those watching their weight) Weight Watcher Pts Plus: 8 Calories:332 /Protein: 20 g/Fat: 6.5 g/ Carbs: 50 g/Fiber: 12 g Ingredients:
- Your favorite chili recipe or I like to use my Spicy Turkey Sausage Three Bean Chili recipe
- One recipe of your favorite cornbread recipe (see my cornbread recipe below)
- 1 1/4 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- variety of ramekins, I used a mix of the 7 ounce ramekins and the 24 ounce bowl by Corningware.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Coat individual ramekins using my Misto spray bottle filled with olive oil.
- I filled the smaller ramekins with 6 ounces of chili and 2 Tbsp of cheese and 1/4 cup of cornbread mix; spread cornbread batter evenly ontop, you may need more.
- Place the ramekins on a baking dish (so the overflow will not spill on the bottom of your oven). Bake the individual casseroles until the top springs back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- This makes about 10 servings using the 7 ounce ramekins, means you’ll need 10 ramekins. I also like to use the larger bowls, the 24 ounce bowls, for a heartier filling meal ~ makes about 5 servings. Larger bowls, add about 2 cups of chili, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and 1/2 cup or so of cornbread mix.
- 1 1/4 cup organic cornmeal or non-GMO cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar or 1 packet of stevia ( I used sugar)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg or 2 egg whites ( I used 1 large whole egg)
- 1 1/4 cup of milk or milk substitute
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, I used olive oil
- In a bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk egg, milk ( I used skim milk) and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Evenly pour the cornbread batter into 12 top muffin pan, make 12 muffins or follow the directions above for the cornbread casserole.